Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Feeling so thankful

I know my last post was about my friend and the loss of her little boy. This same friend, found an amazing way to help her give back and to in turn help her deal with the pain of her loss. She began a non-profit in the memory of her son that reaches out to children under 3 who are walking the same road that her family faced, the journey of battling their child's cancer. I am so thankful to be a part of this organization. I know that sometimes my husband asks me why I keep my involvement and I can't explain it other than I feel like I am making a difference in having a small part in it.

This weekend, one of the children who is a part of of our family adoption program relapsed. She had been 2 years living cancer free and in nine weeks time, she went from having a perfectly clean scan to having her brain and spine taken over with tumors. She is back in the hospital again and they are trying to decide the treatment for her as she has already had such extensive treatment that they are not exactly sure how to proceed. I was reading her mom's update this morning. The grief that she must feel in realizing the road that lies ahead for her child, I cannot even begin to understand, but in the same breath, needing to find the strength and faith to fight once again. I am trying to be a source of encouragement for, but still it feels like so little. But this morning, in the quiet of the start of my day, I just sat and cried as I thought about this family - all of the families that we have met through this organization. My heart aches for each of them, for those battling their child's cancer, for those who have lost their children to it, all of them.

All I can say is that this makes me so incredibly thankful for my kids and their health. I don't know that I could be as strong as some of the families who are going through this awful journey and I honestly have to thank God that he hasn't chosen that lot for me and my family. Thank you God for my 10 year old, who is intelligent and sensitive and one of the most pure souls I've ever met. Thank you for my 7 year old who is shy, determined, and loves to laugh. Thank you for my 6 year old who is rambunctious, silly, and a child who loves with his whole heart. These little ones, they are the reason that I stay involved with this organization; because if it was me, I'd want to know I had someone in my corner too.

No comments:

Post a Comment