Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Different Strokes for Different Folks

I am the type of person who doesn't exactly keep too many close friends. Don't get me wrong, all-in-all, I love people, but am not one to really get close to them. Call it trust issues or what have you, but that's me. I do, however, keep a large circle of friends. Most of these people I am, again, not close with, but do share some form of bond or relationship with. I was thinking today about how each person almost seems to bring their own purpose in my friends. I've got the close family friend. We raise our kids together, husband's are best friends, and our children are best friends as well. Not to mention they are my children's god parents. So, they are the type I would put in the life long category. Does it mean that I share every intimate detail of my life? No, I guess I don't but they are the type that if I needed something and I mean REALLY needed something, they are the one's I could call on. That's a very reassuring feeling.
I then have the long distance friend. Haven't seen her in years and probably couldn't remember the last time I actually heard her voice because technology has allowed us the benefit of not picking up a phone to hold a conversation, yet we can talk about whatever we can think of. She is at this point, what I affectionately refer to as my person. The one I gripe about stuff with and have the most hilarious exchanges with.
I have another semi-long distance friend who is also family. We share all of the gripes and gossip at the large family we belong to. Talk about our kids and husbands and have a great relationship. She's the type that will pick up the phone to call just to say hi when she knows I'm having a bad day (thank you Facebook for communicating the need for a friendly call).
Then, there are the work peeps. I have a friend that I worked around for years and never actually spoke to. But in the last year or so, we've developed a friendship. We vent about work and she has a genuine interest in my family which is nice. She comes over to cook for us and hang out with the kids and now affectionately refers to my husband as "baby daddy". It was a relationship that spawned from a simple car ride and I'm happy to have her.
This morning though, I went to visit my laughing friend. Yes, I do have a lot of friends I laugh with and I feel blesed to have that. Better to laugh than cry. I spent 15 or so minutes in her office just talking about random things and laughing so hard that my cheeks hurt. She's another one that I never thought I'd really befriend but am happy that I did because we can always find great things to talk about and share a good laugh when you need one.
So, all in all, I am a very lucky gal. No, I may not have a million "best friends" and I may keep my distance and not get too personal, but I've got some great people in my life and it sure makes a good place to be.

1 comment:

  1. This makes me smile. I'm honored to be a member of your circle, and love you lots!

    ReplyDelete